This month our resident vet and human doctor, Dr Tamara, shares with you some of the health benefits of owning a pet.
Did you know that pets play an important role in improving our health? Here in Australia we have one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world; and this ownership directly correlates to reduced health expenditure (less money spent at the health professional!)
Here are some ways they can benefit you –
- They encourage us to get active, outdoors and socialize
- They can decrease your blood pressure and cholesterol
- Growing up with a dog can strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of allergies
- They combat feelings of loneliness, grief, and stress.
- Through caring for them, we are also reminded to care for ourselves.
- They are loyal, dependable and the ultimate best friend.
- Their friendly faces can bring a whole lot of joy.
Dr Tamara’s door is always open for pet chats – what pet would suit you best?